Oh my….you’re going to love me for this recipe!!! Just four simple ingredients are all you need to create this spectacular soup!
Tomato Basil Soup
- 6 cups canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 14 large basil leaves
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Stir every ten minutes or so.
- Puree the tomato mixture in a high powered blender. Return it to the stockpot and continue heating over low.
- Wash the basil and pick off the leaves. Make a stack, and roll them up like a cigar. Using a very sharp knife, slice the roll into very thin slices (also known as chiffonade). Go over the very thin slices again with you knife, and chop into very tiny pieces. Stir the basil into the soup.
- Pour in the heavy cream and heat through. Do not let the soup boil.
- This recipe is another example of how great food doesn’t have to be time consuming or complicated–just a few simple ingredients can turn into something amazing!