Who doesn’t love bacon in their salad? In this episode I prepare a flavorful salad with bacon, hard boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, red onion, and spinach.
Chef Becky’s Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- ½ pound baby spinach
- 6 ounces thick bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces (save ¼ cup bacon fat for the dressing)
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 3 large eggs, hard boiled
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes and chill in ice water.
- Chop the bacon and fry until crispy. Remove the bacon and leave about 1/4 cup of the bacon fat in the pan. Add the sliced red onion and heat for 1 minute. Whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar, and Dijon mustard.
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the onion and hot dressing. Gently stir in the bacon and sunflower seeds, and then divide on plates.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs and arrange on top of the salad.