This recipe will become a new family tradition! Watch me make Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing, which I put in a fresh turkey breast, and then bind it with twine. I roast it, and then carve it into beautiful slices. It is perfect for a small family gathering, when you do not want to prepare a whole turkey. Enjoy!!
Sausage, Apple, Cranberry Stuffed Turkey
This is one of my favorite recipes! It’s sweet and savory, and has the hallmarks of the holidays, with fresh apples, fresh herbs, and dried cranberries. It is a special recipe, and well worth the effort. Your family will ask for it again and again!
For the stuffing, you will need:
- 6 cups whole wheat bread, about 6 or 7 slices
- 1 pound turkey sausage, breakfast flavor, casings removed
- 1 ½ cups onion, diced small
- 1 ½ cups celery, diced small
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large golden delicious apple, cored and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup turkey or chicken stock
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cube the bread and then toast on a cookie sheet in a hot oven, for 6 to 8 minutes at 365 degrees. Transfer to large bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the onions and sausage over medium heat. Break up the sausage into small pieces. Cook until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Cook for 4 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Pour sausage mixture into bowl with the bread cubes. Mix in apples, cranberries, and parsley. Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter.
For the turkey entrée, you will need:
- 3-pound turkey breast, boneless and skinless, butterflied
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Kitchen twine
- Prepare the stuffing before working with the turkey.
- Using a very sharp chef’s knife, trim all visible pieces of fat from the turkey breast. Cut a pocket into the thickest part of the turkey breast.
- On a cutting board, lay the longest piece of butcher’s twine perpendicular to yourself. Lay the other 4 pieces of butcher’s twine across the long piece. Lay the butterflied turkey breast on top of the twine, and arrange the breast meat open. Place about 3 or 4 cups of stuffing into the turkey breast. Taking one of the 4 shorter pieces of twine, carefully tie it closed, containing the stuffing in the turkey. Repeat with the other three pieces. Use care to contain all of the stuffing in the breast meat. Lastly, tie the long piece of twine, going the long way and fold the meat to contain the stuffing.
- Once the meat has been tied up, turn it over and place in an oven safe baking dish. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with the kosher salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven, for approximately 55 minutes to an hour. Using a meat thermometer, check to ensure the stuffing has reached 165 degrees. Let roast rest for 15 minutes. Carve into slices, about half an inch thick.
**This recipe makes plenty of stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in an oven safe baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Serve on the side, along with my Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles, and Cranberry Orange Walnut Crescent Rolls.