Crunchy, quick, and delicious!! This recipe will knock your socks off! Watch Chef Becky prepare onion rings and dill pickles in batter made with Ninkasi beer!
Beer Battered Onion Rings
- ½ cup all propose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold beer **(Nikasi Pravada Pilsner ) ** you may substitute cold club soda
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large yellow onions (also try baby dill pickles, I dare you!)
- 3 cups canola oil
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- Peel and slice onions to ½ inch thick
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, potato flakes, cayenne pepper and kosher salt. Whisk in the beer and stir until smooth.
- Place panko in a shallow bowl.
- Make sauce by combining the ketchup and ranch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a frying pan with high sides to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels.
- Place 4 onion rings into the bowl of batter and toss to coat them.
- Remove onion rings from batter and place into a pan of panko breadcrumbs. Turn to coat completely.
- Carefully place onion rings in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. The procedure is the same for the dill pickles!