Watch me prepare a client favorite recipe, Flank Steak Roll-Ups with Spinach & Bacon!! It’s perfect for grilling on the 4th of July! Follow that with a quick fizzy Strawberry Cooler, for a family-friendly BBQ!
Flank Steak Roll-Ups with Spinach and Bacon
- 1 ½ pound Flank Steak, trimmed of fat and pounded ½ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 ½ 10 ounce boxes frozen Spinach, thaw and squeeze liquid out
- 1 teaspoon garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 12 skewers, 8 inches long, soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- Fry bacon slices in a pan using medium heat for 6 to 8 minutesâ€¦.just until cooked and soft. Do not cook until crispy for this recipe.
- Trim flank steak, and pound to ½ inch thick with a meat mallet. Sprinkle generously with the Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- In a large bowl, place the thawed, squeezed spinach. Add the garlic, lemon juice, some Kosher salt, and the thyme.
- Arrange the bacon slices on top of the flank steak, covering the ¾’s of the flank steak that’s closest to you. This will leave about two inches of flank steak uncovered. Using your hands, arrange the spinach mixture over the bacon in an even layer. Press it flat.
- Using both hands, begin at the end closest to you, and roll the flank steak tightly, until you have one large roll. Insert three skewers, 3 inches apart, to hold the roll together.
- Using a very sharp chef’s knife, slice the roll into 1 inch pieces. It’s easiest to slice off only one or two at a time. Lay the pinwheel flat on your cutting board, and insert a skewer through it. This will prevent them from falling apart on the grill, and it will make them easier to flip over.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Scrape grill and spray with non-stick spray that is designed for grills (non-flammable). Grill for 4 minutes, then flip over and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes.
Creamy Strawberry Cooler
- 1 pound strawberries, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, lowfat
- 1 cup club soda, chilled
- 2 fresh strawberries, greens attached, for garnish
- 2 tall glasses and straws
- Place one pound strawberries, ice cream, and club soda in a blender. Blend on high for one minute.
- Pour into tall drinking glasses. Make one cut in the garnish strawberries, running the long way, so they can sit on the edge of the glasses.