These Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas are a guaranteed crowd pleaser! Follow that with my Mexican Cheesecake Pie for dessert, and your guests won’t want to leave! The smell of the cheesecake baking is positively AMAZING!
Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast, cut into tiny pieces
- 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, UNDRAINED
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 16 flour tortillas, 8 inch size
- 12 ounces Jack cheese, shredded or Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup sour cream (if desired)
- 13X9 inch casserole pan
Makes 8 servings
- Cut chicken into tiny pieces. Dice the bacon, and then cook in large skillet until done. Remove with slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Keep about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet. Try to remove the dark brown bacon bits that may be in the fat.
- Cook chicken and garlic in drippings in skillet for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the salsa, beans with their juice, red bell pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in green onions and reserved bacon. Let this filling cool in the fridge for about 30 to 45 minutes before rolling the enchiladas.
- Microwave 8 tortillas for 30 seconds on high. This makes them easy to roll.
- I recommend using a 1/3 cup measuring cup for consistent portioning of the filling.
- Spoon a level 1/3-cup bean mixture down center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up; place seam side down in a 13X9 inch casserole pan. Spoon the remaining salsa over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a 365 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream on the side.
Mexican Cheesecake Pie
- 2 tubes Crescent Roll dough
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, completely softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 13X9 inch pan, sprayed with non-stick spray
- Beat cream cheese with 1 cup sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer until smooth.
- Carefully unroll one can of crescent roll dough onto a cutting board or counter, without tearing apart the individual pieces. It will roughly resemble a 13X9 rectangle. Carefully place the dough into the pan. Pinch the seams together and try to cover the bottom of the pan. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the layer of dough. Unroll second tube of crescent roll dough onto the counter, just as you did before. Place this layer of dough on top of the cream cheese mixture. Pinch seams and try to cover the cream cheese completely.
- Mix the Â¾ cup white sugar, cinnamon, and butter until smooth. Dot this mixture over the top layer of crescent dough. Then using an offset spatula, spread the mixture to completely cover the dough.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes (do not use convection). Remove from oven, and drizzle the honey over the hot cheesecake in a criss-cross pattern. Serve warm, or at room temperature.