15 May Chef Becky’s Oven Fried Chicken Skewers, My 100th Episode!
Healthy and fun to eat, these chicken skewers are perfect for kids and adults alike!!! Marinate in buttermilk overnight if you have time! Serve with fun dipping sauces to make it a party!
- Wooden skewers
- Wire rack
- Large baking sheet
- 1 cup buttermilk (not low-fat)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 12 sturdy wooden skewers
- Combine marinade ingredients. Cut chicken breasts into long strips, 1 inch wide and thread onto bamboo skewers. This step is optional. Chicken can also be baked whole.
- Place chicken skewers in marinade and stir to coat the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results.
- 2 ½ cup cornflake cereal
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 quart plastic bag
- Crush the cornflakes in a plastic bag, into ¼ inch pieces. In a large bowl combine the crushed cornflakes, panko bread crumbs, poultry seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and oil. Stir well.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with foil. Place a wire rack on top, and mist it with non-stick spray. Baking the chicken on the wire rack will help the chicken get crispy on all sides.
- Take one chicken skewer from the marinade, and dredge it in the crumb mixture, pressing the crumbs onto all sides of the skewer. Place on the wire rack. Repeat steps until all chicken skewers have been breaded.
- Bake skewers in a 400 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake whole breasts for 45 minutes.